A magician (abbreviated as mage) is a hero with a longer range, ability-based area of effect damage, and crowd control that they may utilize to strike from a distance. Mages primarily focus on magic skills that deals magic damage, usually burst damage, and as a consequence, they spend a lot of gold on equipment that allows them to do more damage and have shorter skill cooldowns.
Though mages typically focus on killing prime targets in combat, they can also use their innate crowd control and utility to manipulate opponents, protecting their team from them or setting them up for a takedown, and in the right circumstances, can damage and control multiple enemies at the same time. Regardless of their might, mages are fundamentally frail and succumb fast to direct attacks.
Mages are classified into three types: pure, primary, and secondary.
Because they have no other role, these heroes are full mages.
These heroes are mainly mages who can also be used for a different purpose.
Because they are used in a different way than a mage's main purpose, these heroes are half-mages.
- is the only mage that can shift and change her attack style early on in the game.
- The only mage heroes having more than three active abilities in a single form are
, , and .
- Prior to her makeover, Curse of Crow has been included as the first ability, and the Wings by Wings has been replaced as a special skill from the first ability. only had three active abilities. Since then, the
- During the creation of 's abilities, she had four abilities; however, she was modified into a three-skill hero in a later patch.
- Brawl games due to her Feathered Air Strike, which provided an unfair advantage to her team (ultimate ability). For that specific game style alone, her ultimate ability's CD has been increased from 8 to 30 seconds. was temporarily banned from
- The only heroes that employ the concept of Yin-yang are and .
- The only heroes who employ the concept of light and dark are and .
- Because of the introduction of Magic Damage specialty in Patch 1.4.94, , , , and become abstracted from the mage role.
- is the only mage capable summoning a puppet in the form of the targeted enemy.
- Seven of the mages have season exclusive skins: , , , , , , and .
- The only mage that received the SNK Collaboration skin of KoF is .
- Star Wars collaboration skin, which is only available for purchase and authorization in the following countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Brunei, Laos, East Timor, and Japan. is the only mage who has received the
- There are four mages with zodiac skins: - Aquarius, - Cancer, - Virgo, and - Libra.
- Six of the mages are members of a skin group: - S.A.B.E.R, Enforcer, - V.E.N.O.M., Octopus, - Lightborn, Inspirer, - Dragon Tamer, Draconic Flame, - HERO, Blizzard Storm, - Blazing Bounties, Blazing Shadow and HERO, The Foreseer.